Manager, Special Events
About the Opportunity
Under the direction of the Vice President, External Relations, the Manager of Special Events is responsible for providing leadership and expertise in planning and implementing high quality events that achieve patron development program goals. Responsibilities include an extensive number and wide range of events which engage, cultivate, solicit and steward FIM patrons, donors and volunteers. The Manger of Special Events is responsible for organizing and managing every aspect of an event. including conceptualizing theme ideas, planning budgets, booking venues, liaising with suppliers and clients, managing logistics, and presenting post-event reports.
- Create, plan and execute fundraising, patron and donor events as determined by the annual patron development plan or as assigned by the VP External Relations.
- Ensure all events are within approved budget, meet event objectives including fundraising goals, and appropriately represent FIM to the community.
- Maintain master calendar of events to include committee meeting schedules and key deadlines of consequence to other divisions.
- Maintain master plan for each event; and conduct and document post-event evaluation.
- Ensure all event logistics and secure acquisitions; including venue, audio/visual, and vendors, e.g. photographer, food, equipment, floral, security, entertainment, etc.
- Meet objectives for sponsor cultivation and solicitation; and ensure solicitation plans are executed for all events and coordinated with VP External Relations, CEO and other Division VPs.
- Supervise and steward event committees: support committee chairs; ensure staff support and coordination of effective meetings and efficient utilization of volunteer time.
- Work collaboratively with External Relations management team to ensure marketing assets, promotion collateral, invitations, program content and script, etc. meet event objectives and timeline
- Work collaboratively with VP External Relations and appropriate ER staff to ensure implementation of media outreach and timely media responses.
- Ensure maintenance of all event and patron related data utilizing the organization CRM and appropriate technology platforms.
- Ensure creation and execution of detailed event-day action plan and event run of show; training and rehearsing with staff and volunteers as necessary.
- Ensure all post-event logistics; return of supplies/collateral, vendor payments, etc.
- nsure that all sponsors receive appropriate recognition in the media and that all sponsor commitments are fulfilled.
- Ensure appropriate pre to post-event acknowledgment and recognition for sponsors, key partners, volunteers, and attendees, and ensue all sponsor benefit obligations are fulfilled.
- Provide input on stewardship strategies to ensure seamless transition between events and other patron development activities.
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three to five years of experience planning and implementing events, preferably nonprofit fundraising events.
- Ability to lead multiple projects concurrently and meet all required deadlines; ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate and manage own work with great attention to detail; and, ability to work unsupervised and make decisions and solve problems independently and effectively.
- Willingness to work flexible hours according to schedule of events and performances.
- Experience managing, supervising and training staff and volunteers for events; ability to lead and motivate volunteers and facilitate event committee meetings.
- Ability to maintain a strong customer service orientation to internal and external constituents under high pressure situations.
- Ability to interact appropriately with diverse groups including executive staff, board, patrons, donors and volunteers; discreet and able to maintain confidential information and exercise sound judgment.
- Excellent written and oral interpersonal communication skills; media relations experience an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point; and experience with relational database, donor management software, project management software, preferred.
Compensation and Benefit
- Salary Range $50k – $65k
- Full Time Exempt
- Hybrid Opportunity
- 401k with Match
- Full Benefit Package