Director of Marketing
About the Opportunity
FIM (Flint Institute of Music) is seeking a seasoned Director of Marketing with extensive experience in performing arts marketing. The Director will develop, implement, and evaluate all marketing campaigns at FIM to support audience development, earned revenue, patron loyalty, brand awareness as well as equity and inclusion goals across its multidisciplinary season and campus. This is an exceptionally exciting time in FIM’s evolution to join the leadership team, and an opportunity to develop and oversee all earned income strategies for FIM’s complex business model. This role reports to the VP of External Relations and acts as marketing team leader, and as an institutional thought partner in areas of audience development, public relations, and communications.
FIM is in an exciting stage of its development having recently consolidated the operations of The James H. Whiting Auditorium and the Capitol Theatre, a National Register of Historic Places landmark performance space, into the larger FIM organization. This past fall FIM launched a new brand to reflect the significant organizational change and expansion. In addition to its presented work, the organization consists of multiple artistic components including FIM Flint Repertory Theatre, FIM Flint Symphony Orchestra, and FIM Flint School of Performing Arts. FIM is currently in transition, moving from a traditional performing art culture with defined hierarchies and siloed organizations to an inclusive and progressive integrated organization that is demanding rapid adaptation during significant business expansion.
The Director of Marketing reports to the Vice President of External Relations and serves a keyrole on the division’s management team. The position currently supervises the Marketing Manager, Digital Marketing & Website Specialist, and Social Media Coordinator and will have the opportunity to further shape the future department as needed to support FIM’s long term needs. The ideal candidate will have considerable experience overseeing marketing in a presenting/producing organization and will have led marketing teams during times of organizational change. The Director of Marketing works in a patron-centered model with the External Relations team and the Artistic and Community Programs team and will support a seamless patron journey from first touchpoint to a long-term relationship with FIM.
This is an incredible opportunity for an experienced and collaborative marketing leader during an exciting time in the organization’s evolution.
Key duties for the Director of Marketing include:
Marketing & Development Strategy
● Develop all marketing and advertising plans ensuring the integration of strategy across all channels in support of audience development goals
● Develop strategies for lead generation, patron/student acquisition and retention, and repeat ticket purchases, subscriptions, and cross-program/venue ticket purchases
● Oversee creation and implementation of all advertising campaigns
● Collaborate with Patron Engagement, Patron Services, and Audience Services staff on patron engagement and in-venue initiatives that result in enhanced patron experiences and increased sales
● Collaborate with Development staff in planning and executing campaigns to meet donor cultivation, retention, and fundraising goals
● Collaborate with Education and Community Programs staff in planning and supporting marketing and communication needs and maximizing opportunities for cross-program promotion
● In collaboration with the Vice President, integrate key initiatives of the Strategic Plan into the day-to-day operations of the department work plans and identify deliverables on an annual basis
● Actively collaborate with the Artistic and Community Programs Division leaders and other senior-level staff on artistic programming and season planning
Earned Revenue Campaign Management
● In collaboration with Vice President of External Relations and Artistic and Community Programs Division leaders, develop creative concepts for season programs, coordinate delivery of content, author content as needed, and work closely with Sr. Mgr. of Marketing Operations to ensure adequate production timeline and delivery of final season campaign products on deadline
● Develop and implement combined FIM season ticket, package, and subscription campaigns for Flint Symphony Orchestra, Flint Repertory Theatre, and Flint School of Performing Arts performances, and all FIM presents/co-presents events at Capitol Theatre and Whiting Auditorium
● Develop and implement annual recruitment and enrollment campaigns forthe Flint School of Performing Arts lessons, classes, ensembles, and camps
● Oversee individual presenting event and concert marketing budgets and seek opportunities to develop media/vendor partnerships, leverage budget and maximize revenue
● Monitor sales, forecast revenue, and course correct to optimize marketing ROI
● Create and embrace a culture of ongoing analysis, evaluation of campaign results, and recommendation for changes to strategy based on findings
● With assistance from Vice President of External Relations, supervise external vendors in copywriting, proofreading and content creation
● Establish standardized reporting metrics and processes to provide business intelligence regarding marketing spends and investments, campaign returns and website data analytics
Operations & Administration
● Under the direction of the Vice President of External Relations and coordination with Sr. Mgr. Marketing Operations, assist with the creation of annual department expense budget and actively participate in reconciliation efforts
● Maintain positive relationships with internal and external constituents, including key community members, patrons, vendors, consultants, volunteers, Trustees, musicians, artists, faculty, and staff.
● Attend a broad selection of performances throughout the season and represent FIM to patrons and marketing/advertising partners and vendors Tom O’Connor Consulting Group, LLC Page 7 of 8
● Provide support forthe Vice President of External Relations as needed and represent the FIM at meetings as necessary
● Serve as point-person for cross-division marketing meetings and planning
● Serve as point-person for cross-campus marketing meetings
FIM seeks a Marketing Director with the following qualifications:
● Minimum 5 years of experience working as a marketing professional within an arts organization with responsibility for successfully developing and retaining audiences and increasing earned revenue
● Minimum 3 years of management experience, or equivalent experience demonstrating increased levels of responsibility for inspiring and motivating people, and managing processes and budgets
● Broad knowledge of and passion for live performing arts; experience in an organization presenting or producing theatre, dance, and classical music preferred
● Proficiency in digital marketing platforms and their respective analytics tools and metrics
● Proficiency in use of a complex CRM system for data analysis and measuring marketing effectiveness; experience in Tessitura is highly preferred
● Superior written and verbal communication skills
● Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
● Proficiency in standard Microsoft Office applications required, and experience with Adobe Creative Suite preferred
● High degree of professionalism and experience working collaboratively with diverse teams to support and strengthen organizational values and culture
● Bachelor’s degree in marketing, arts administration, or related field is preferred
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Research shows that men apply for jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Yet, women and other people who are systematically marginalized tend to only apply if they meet every requirement. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply. We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you’re new to arts and culture administration, returning to work after a gap in employment, simply looking to transition, or take the next step in your career path, we will be glad to have you on our radar.
Please use your cover letter to tell us about your experience in the arts and culture marketing space and what you hope to bring to this role.
Salary is commensurate with experience, with an approximate range of $70,000-100,000 as well as a comprehensive benefits package.
This search for the Director of Marketing is being conducted on behalf of the Flint Institute of Music by Tom O’Connor Consulting Group, a New York-based executive search and consulting firm specializing in the arts and culture industries. The search is jointly led by TOCG’s President Tom O’Connor and Consultant Tomi Douglas. The priority application deadline for the Director of Marketing position is January 31st, 2023. Applications received by this date will be given priority consideration. While we will still accept and consider applications received after this date, we encourage you to apply as early as possible for the best chance at being considered for the position. (Please note that meeting the priority deadline does not guarantee an interview.) To apply, visit the online application to submit your materials. Your cover letter should include relevant experience, including any direct experience you’ve had with similar roles and institutions. No phone calls, please.