About the Flint Institute of Music
The Flint Institute of Music (FIM) is a thriving performing arts organization situated in the heart of the Flint Cultural Center campus, providing music, dance and theatre for all ages and abilities. Tracing its roots back 100 years to the creation of the Flint Community Music Association, founded by J. Dallas Dort, the FIM has grown significantly and continues to build upon its rich tradition of excellence while evolving to meet the needs of area residents. Today FIM reaches more than 300,000 people annually through lessons, classes, outreach programs, performances and concerts through its three program areas: the Flint School of Performing Arts (FSPA), Flint Symphony Orchestra (FSO) and Flint Youth Theatre (FYT). Together these entities are dedicated to improving the community through arts programming that is available for all.
The Assistant Director of Events and Volunteers is responsible for providing leadership and expertise in planning and implementing high quality events that achieve fund development program goals. Responsibilities include an extensive number and wide range of events which engage, cultivate, solicit and steward FIM patrons, donors and volunteers. This position reports to the Development Director, collaborates directly with the President & CEO, and serves as a member of the Development team.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two to three years of experience planning and implementing events, preferably nonprofit fundraising events.
- Ability to lead multiple projects concurrently and meet all required deadlines; ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate and manage own work with great attention to detail; and, ability to work unsupervised and make decisions and solve problems independently and effectively.
- Willingness to work flexible hours according to schedule of events and performances.
- Experience managing, supervising and training staff and volunteers for events; ability to lead and motivate volunteers and facilitate event committee meetings.
- Ability to maintain a strong customer service orientation to internal and external constituents under high pressure situations.
- Ability to interact appropriately with diverse groups including executive staff, board, patrons, donors and volunteers; discreet and able to maintain confidential information and exercise sound judgment.
- Excellent written and oral interpersonal communication skills; media relations experience an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point; experience in fundraising event software and donor management software, experience in Greater Giving and Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Create, plan and execute fundraising, patron and donor events as determined by the annual fund development plan or as assigned by the Development Director.
- Ensure all events are within approved budget, meet development objectives, and appropriately represent FIM to the community.
- Maintain master calendar of events to include committee meeting schedules and key deadlines of consequence to other departments.
- Maintain master plan for each event and revise following post-event evaluation.
- Ensure all event logistics and acquisitions; including venue, audio/visual, and vendors, e.g. photographer, food, equipment, floral, security, entertainment, etc.
- Assist with sponsor cultivation and solicitation; and ensure solicitations for both live and silent auction items; facilitate board and CEO involvement in solicitation of sponsorships, ticket sales and attendance
- Recruit, supervise and steward event committees: work alongside committee chairs; provide staff support and coordination of meetings; create, prepare and distribute meeting schedules, agendas, supporting documents and minutes.
- Coordinate with Development Director, President & CEO, and Marketing to determine program content, script, call to action, attendee take away materials.
- Work with Marketing Department to create, seek approval of, produce, and send invitations for all events.
- Work with Marketing Department to develop event promotion plans: media releases, billboards, online, eNews and social channels, radio PSAs, community calendars (both on-line and in print), and media sponsors.
- Respond to event inquiries from the public, including assisting with media requests.
- Ensure maintenance of all event related data: work with Development Department Coordinator to utilize data platforms to create event registration pages, manage RSVP’s, develop mailing lists, track responses and track attendance.
- Create detailed event-day action plan and event run of show.
- Provide support, training and guidance to staff and volunteers assisting with event.
- Provide onsite event direction and trouble shooting.
- Coordinate all follow-up logistics functions for the events as needed including: return of supplies/collateral, vendor payments, etc.
- Ensure that all sponsors receive appropriate recognition in the media and that all sponsor commitments are fulfilled.
- Create appropriate post-event acknowledgment and recognition for sponsors, venue, key partners, volunteers, and attendees.
- Provide input on stewardship strategies to ensure seamless transition between events and other development activities.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Flint Institute of Music
Attn: Assistant Director of Events and Volunteers
1025 E. Kearsley Street
Flint, MI 48503